10 September 2011

Deaf

Just because I've heard some comments on this lately...

Deafness is not something to be ashamed of. It does not make you less of a person or disabled in some way. The deaf person just perceives the world in a different way than you do.

It does not make them stupid or "retarded" (honestly I hate the use of that word -- let's be constructive, people!) or in any way less capable than you or me.

My boyfriend is permanently deaf in one ear. I don't love him despite his deafness; I love him for who he is, deafness included. And frankly, the way he perceives the world astounds me at times. His lack of hearing isn't a disability for him... it's an asset.

The same goes for the rest of the deaf community, no matter the level of severity.

(And oh boy... don't get me started on those TV shows... NOTHING like real life...)

No comments:

Post a Comment