16 March 2011

Moving

I said the possibility of me moving was a story for another time. This is that time.

---

Over the past few semesters, Nate has had a lot of difficulty figuring out exactly what he wants to do college/career-wise. It's not that WHAT he wants to do keeps changing, actually... it's HOW he gets to that point that is unsure.

For a while, he thought he wanted to major in kinesiology. Then, he discovered that kinesiology was more research-oriented and he wanted to be more people-oriented. So he chose physical therapy. Then, the requirements for physical therapy changed, and he started thinking about pharmacology for a short while, but ultimately decided that he wasn't going to change his goals. Then, he discovered that what he wanted to do all along was actually occupational therapy -- he'd just been calling it by the wrong name since forever. WHAT he wanted to do never changed (except for the few weeks of pharmacology freaking out) -- only the terminology and thus the schooling required did.

Why does this mean that I might move? Well, the program that best suits Nate's needs is at San Jose State University. Northern California, that is.

My current plan is to take a gap year while finishing my prerequisites for nursing school. That can be done anywhere. And so, I would much rather follow him to San Jose while finishing them, rather than never seeing him. It will not hurt me academically -- in fact, it may be beneficial. The only concern is finding a job, but I feel like I would be able to get an EMT job fairly easily with the amount of experience I will have by then. (And, if I'm truly not finding anything, my current company has a branch up there that I could request a transfer to. It'd be a bit of a drive, but I'd manage.) I'm planning on going to nursing school up there, anyhow, so being in the area couldn't hurt.

Also, there's a decent probability that I might change my mind about nursing school and decide to go the internship/distance school route instead. It might be better suited to my beliefs and needs, but at this point I'm not sure. I'm hoping the Midwifery Today conference will help me figure that out. Again, the goal hasn't changed -- it's just how to achieve it.

But what I guess I'm trying to say is that I have no problem with following Nate, as it doesn't negatively affect anything for me besides needing to get a different job, which I could plan in advance for. He would do his best to stop me if he thought I was sacrificing anything (career, etc) in order to stay close to him. Honestly, moving feels absolutely natural... far more than anything else I've considered has been before. That says something to me.

---

So we'll see how that turns out. The rest of this year is going to bring a LOT of change. I'm excited to see what life will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment