13 February 2011

Empty Shifts

I had an overnight shift last night/this morning... it was pretty interesting.

I got to meet the guy who will probably be my partner for the next few months... he's cool, which is great! And he has a portable DVD player, so we watch videos in the rig whenever we're posting.

The weird part was that we didn't get a single call last night. We literally sat in the Ralph's parking lot all night. Fun stuff, fun stuff....

We also got to drive to the Azusa station to pick up my pager. While there, we got spot-checked by a supervisor.... I think we did okay. It was nerve-wracking, though -- it's the first time that's happened to me!

---

I have to admit that I was kind of scared about having a job. Joining the ranks of the employed... waving goodbye to another part of my childhood... etc. But I like it. I really do.

It feels great to receive paychecks and be annoyed that I'm being taxed so much. It feels awesome to stare at my pay stubs and be sad at the small amount of money I'm earning. Why? Because it's my work that's getting me money. I'm being self-sufficient; I'm supporting myself... it really makes feel accomplished, and happy that I get the opportunity to be annoyed by what's being witheld and how little money I'm making, because not everyone has that opportunity.

I'm growing up. It's both freeing and terrifying. I've never felt more accomplished and happy with my life, but at the same time, I'm starting to feel old. I know it's silly... but I still notice it.

I'm starting to get wrinkles around my eyes, too, which just reinforces it: Youth is fleeting. And I do, to some extent, like the feeling of being young and not having many responsibilities... of being able to mess up and have somebody else fix it.

But moreso, I am embracing this new stage in my life. I can't fully support myself yet, but I'm getting there.

---

I think I might try to pick up a few extra shifts over the next few weeks. One extra per week wouldn't be so bad at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment