I was meant to be on a CCT (Critical Care Transport) crew today, but the nurse never showed up, so we got stuck on a BLS unit instead. Being a 24-hour BLS crew is incredibly grueling; you are constantly working.
Working so much also highlighted the fact that I am not nearly as trained as I should be. My FTO (Field Training Officer) neglected to teach me some incredibly important things, like working with oxygen and getting the gurney in and out of the rig. I'm working to become proficient in those things on my own, but it is really frustrating that I was allowed to start work prior to becoming skilled.
Today was probably my worst shift I've ever had. I got thrown across the back of the rig when my partner hit a pothole during the five seconds I was unbuckled to hit a switch on the other side of the gurney, I caught the gurney with my knee when it came shooting out of the back of the rig too fast, and I had a patient more proficient in oxygen than me. Each one enough to make me want the shift to end... but all together, enough to make me want to crawl under a rock and die.
I still have the rest of the night to work... I am really hoping that the night crew takes all of the BLS calls and I get to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment