29 January 2011

Welcome to EMS

What can I say about today's shift...?

Well.... we ran six calls -- five of them at night. We got maybe two hours of sleep. We got paid a TON of money because of this. A psych patient simultaneously told me he wanted to marry and wanted to kill me (and Nate, because he put a ring on my finger). An elderly gentleman had explosive diarrhea all over the gurney and my foot. And much, much more.

Honestly, that 24-hour shift was so tiring that everything that happened just kind of blended into each other. I'd have to think for a while about each of the patients I had.... let's see if I can do it.

Calls, in order:
- Psych patient. Yes, for my first call. Kind of scary, but totally normal. We had a rather emotional female.
- We then posted at a hospital and visited an EMT that went into v-fib last night after returning from a call. Ended up taking a C-7 to bring him back to the station after he was discharged so he could go home.
- House call. The gurney barely fit in the place, but we made it work.
- Psych patient. He had the smelliest feet I have ever encountered. We had to turn on the exhaust system to keep from passing out.
- Psych patient. We had a very pleasant and really deep conversation until I refused to massage his neck for him.
- Psych patient. This was a really sad one that I might remember for a while.
- Elderly gentleman. The nurses lied when they said they changed his diaper. It exploded in the back of the rig. My clothes still smell...

Working with elderly patients makes me really scared that I'll get dementia some day. It's... really, really depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment